You are currently browsing the monthly archive for October 2013.

Reality TV stars, Kris and Bruce Jenner, have recently announced their separation after 22 years of marriage. In an interview for People Magazine, Bruce Jenner stated that no one is filing for divorce. Many couples struggle with the decision of whether or not there should be a period of separation before moving forward with formally filing for divorce. There are important considerations to keep in mind if you are considering a separation. Not all states recognize legal separation. The State of New Jersey, unlike other states such as California, does not have a formal law authorizing legal separation. Therefore, during the period of separation, if a divorce complaint is not filed, you will not have a pending court matter that will permit you to file an application seeking a court order for alimony, child support, distribution of property and parenting time.

Couples may separate at any time. However, while there is no legal separation in New Jersey, an individual is not excused from his or her financial and other family obligations upon a separation. Of course, upon separation, significant issues such as parenting time and support must be addressed. It is possible to negotiate an agreement with your spouse to address important issues during a period of separation. Also, if a spouse decides to abandon his or her financial responsibilities following a separation, the other spouse may file a complaint with the court requesting an order for support, without also filing for divorce. It is also possible to file for a parenting time order without filing for divorce in the event parenting time becomes an issue during a period of separation.

However, it is important to keep in mind that since there is no legal separation in New Jersey, there is no restriction on dissipating marital assets as there would be once a divorce complaint is filed. For example, if you and your spouse decide to separate and the next day your spouse withdraws all the money from a joint bank account, you cannot obtain a court order directing that the funds be returned unless a divorce matter is pending. Also, once a divorce complaint has been filed, neither spouse can cancel or modify any insurance policy without prior consent of the other spouse or court order. No similar protection exists during a separation prior to the filing of a divorce complaint. Contact an experienced attorney at Iandoli & Edens, LLC today at 908-879-9499 to assist you in determining the best option for your needs. We are here to protect your rights.

At Iandoli & Edens we work with all aspects of adoptions. Questions commonly voiced by our clients are: Will my adopted child be OK? Will they succeed in life or does the very fact of “abandonment” at a young age mean years of therapy and self-doubt. The truth of the matter is some adopted children will fail and some will succeed, just as any child brought into this world. In fact, the very fact they are adopted (i.e. wanted) may give adopted children a “leg up” in self-esteem and confidence. The bottom line is raising children, adopted, biological or step children is a minefield, for which parents must take responsibility.

Here are some examples of adopted children who have made names for themselves: Maya Angelou, Eric Clapton, Ted Danson, Nelson Mandela, Ray Liotta, Frances McDormand, Steve Jobs and Nicole Richie. There are thousands more who have made quieter, yes no less important contributions to society.

Some people will argue nature vs. nurture. If you truly want to become a parent by adopting a child nurture has already taken the lead. For help with your adoption, call our Adoption Dept. at Iandoli & Edens at 908-879-9499, or visit our website at

Alimony is one of the most hotly contested issues. When is it paid/received? How much gets paid/received? Over what period of time will it get paid/received? When will it terminate? The current statute on alimony and the long list of court cases which have resulted in the interpretation of the statute may change drastically based on new proposed legislation.

If you are paying or receiving alimony, contact one of the attorneys at Iandoli & Edens, LLC at (908) 879-9499 to learn if you will be affected by this new legislation. Click here to visit our website for more information.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 359 other subscribers